The Room Reclaimers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
bliebo36
bliebo36
Duncan

Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 Empty Re: Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home

Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:11 pm
As the fighting ends, Duncan turns to Kirsten and flashes a big smile

That was fun!  Not so much the getting stabbed part though.  Boy you sure are good with that bow - thanks for helping me out!

Duncan starts to walk around the room and examine the mess that was made, looking to see if there's anything fun to add to his collection or if recognizes the men or their outfits from anywhere.  He grabs some trash from the floor and starts to clean the blood off his hoopak when he sees the girl come in and the scene that follows.  Noticing the girl is distressed, Duncan walks up to her with his arm outstretched.

Hi!  I'm Duncan Herrofoot!  What's your name!?

Investigation 21
GameMaster
GameMaster
Admin
https://roomreclaimers.forumotion.com

Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 Empty Re: Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home

Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:39 pm
Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 TikaTika comes bustling out of the kitchen, through the same door that the half-elf girl and her pursuers burst through seconds earlier, carrying a bussing tray and a fresh pot of coffee.

"What is all the commotion out here?" she begins, jovially. But, as she enters the room and sees the carnage, of your previous fight, she stops frozen to the spot and drops the pot of coffee, which shatters when it hits the floor adding spilt coffee to the mess of bodies and blood and broken dishes, tables, and chairs littering the previously friendly and inviting inn.

"What..." she stammers, scanning the room in disbelief. She notices the half-elf girl sitting by the door, clutching her knees close to her chest and pouting.

"Elle!" she exclaims, rushing across the inn to the girl. "Are you okay? What happened here?"

Elle looks up at Duncan looming above her and extending a hand in friendship, and at Tika rushing across the inn towards her. She pulls herself together, and stops pouting a little bit. Impressively, for a girl her age.

"I'm okay, Tika," she calls to the barmaid. "It was just Winthrop and his goons, again. These guys all helped when they were chasing me." She indicates the seven remaining living occupants of the inn.

She looks up at Duncan. "Hi Duncan. My name is Elle. Thank you for helping me." She looks around at the carnage of the inn again. "You guys didn't have to murder them all," she says. "They just wanted the key."

Saying that, a realization seems to dawn on her, and tears begin to well up in the little girl's eyes.

"Oh no, Tika," she says. "Winthrop got the key from me, and now he's gone. My mom and dad are going to be so mad at me."

Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 Elle

Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 TikaMeanwhile, as Tika rushes over to check on Elle, Ty'Garn offers her the armor from one of the corpses strewn about her inn as payment for his tab.

Tika rounds on Ty'Garn. "Your tab?" she screeches. "Look around you! Your tab?! There are corpses strewn all around my inn, and everything is blood soaked and broken! But you think some armore will cover your TAB? It won't even cover the cost to clean this place. Not to mention replace the tables. And what am I going to tell the sheriff about all these bodies?" Tika says, growing a bit hysterical and tears starting to flow from her eyes.

Seeing Tika losing her composure makes Elle regain her own.

"It's okay, Tika. They were just trying to help me. It will be okay. I'm sure my parents will take care of everything and reimburse you."

She sighs.

"I guess I'd better call them and let them know what happened..."
Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 Elle
avasarala
avasarala
Avasarala

Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:17 pm
Ava wipes some blood splatter from her face then winks at Kirsten in appreciation. Ava retrieves the dagger she threw earlier, then turns to Dwalin:

And you, thanks for giving me a hand. I thought I was dead for sure. I'm Ava, btw.

Last edited by GameMaster on Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kirsten
Kirsten
Kirsten

Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:20 pm
Kirsten says unenthusiasticly, "With help, it was I who delt the killing blow, but only to protect my friend," she nods towards Ava conversing with the dwarf and adds, "you really shouldn't start things you can't finish."

Kirsten smiles back at Duncan and follows him to where Elle is. Kirsten looks at the girl warmly and says in elvish, "Big things in small packages I see. Why were those men so intent on getting the key from you, why is the key so important?" (Will repeat in common if Kirsten sees Elle doesn't understand elvish)
GameMaster
GameMaster
Admin

Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:36 pm
Elle responds quietly to Kirsten in elvish.
Tygarn
Tygarn
TyGarn

Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:47 pm

Whatever. Don’t take it then. I’ll sell it in my own.

Ty’garn takes the armor and walks out to sell it in town.
RafV
RafV
Dwalin

Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:01 am
Dwalin extends his hand to Ava. "Pleased to meet you, miss Ava. I'm Dwalin, from the clan Ironfoundersson." Looking around at the carnage, he sighs. "We let poor Tika down by creating such carnage instead of taking the fight outside, didn't we..."

He picks up some parts of a broken table, and starts casting Mending on it. The fibers from the parts grow to connect both pieces back together. Once the table's whole again, he picks up a broken chair and does the same.
bliebo36
bliebo36
Duncan

Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:17 pm
It seems that Elle has calmed down and that Tika and other patrons are caring for each other.  Everyone is talking about various things, and Duncan starts to grow a little bored.  He knows that he probably should be helping Tika with the mess he caused, and he does feel bad about that. He starts moving around the inn to pick up some chairs and and notices that TyGarn is taking off the leader's armor.  Slightly annoyed that he didn't find anything fun to add to his collection earlier, he becomes interested in what is clearly very shiny and nice armor.  Duncan moves over to TyGarn, stepping between him and the door to outside with his hand outstretched.

Hello!  I'm Duncan Herrofoot, I don't think we met earlier.  During the fight I was going to introduce myself but I think you were taking a nap. Do you normally nap through bar fights?  It is a bit rude of you to nap while everyone else was trying to help out Elle.

Duncan then looks down towards the armor at Ty'Garn's feet

Hey you don't have a tail!  I thought all dragonborns had tails?

Duncan circles around Ty'Garn trying to see if he's maybe hiding his tail somewhere

Isn't it hard for you to balance without your tail?  Do you fall on your face a lot?  Is that why you were napping because you fell on your face? One time I was traveling through a forest and I saw a Unicorn! I went to pet it, and it kicked me right in the face.  It wasn't the most pleasant feeling, and I started to feel bad that my face hurt, so I understand why you might be grumpy about that.  Are you taking this armor to protect yourself from falling?
Kirsten
Kirsten
Kirsten

Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:21 am
Kirsten expresses empathy for Elle about being in trouble with her parents. She continues to press Elle, but gently, and says in elvish while kneeling to be the same height at the girl, "I'm confident your parents wouldn't mind you sharing information with someone who is trying to look out for you and keep you out of harm's way." Kirsten continues, "Can you tell me who these people are that were so intently after you and what is so desirable about that ring?" Kirsten adds, "because (quote from station eleven) if you are the light, if your enemies are darkness, then there’s nothing that you cannot justify."
Tygarn
Tygarn
TyGarn

Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:41 pm
Ty'garn laughs.

You ask a lot of questions, little girl, but quite perceptive. I guess I do tend to nap during battles, but not always. At least I try not to.

I'm going to find someone to buy this armor. If you wish to tag along, I'll tell you all about us dragonborns without tails. I'll even try not to fall on my face on the way. No promises.
bliebo36
bliebo36
Duncan

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:54 am
Duncan smiles broadly at Ty'Garn

I would love to know more about Dragonsborns without tails!  I need to remember to draw you.

Duncan starts to follow the Dragonborn out of the inn, and then he has a little nagging feeling in the back of his head.  He looks over at the mess from the fight, and at Elle, Tika, and the rest, and backs away from the Dragonborn

Well actually selling armor does sound a little boring.  Hey maybe you can stay here with me and help figure out why we just got into that fight.  Elle does still seem awfully upset.  If you stay, I'll show you this amazing treasure I found!  I think you'll like it!

Duncan let's out a a big laugh, and starts beaming broadly. He takes out a shiny Crystal he just "found" when he was talking with TyGarn, and starts tossing it into the air

Isn't it amazing? It looks just like this other gem I found before.  The Elf I was with kept calling it an "Arcane Focus", which sounded amazing!  I tried poofing him way but nothing happened.  I'm not sure what happened to that...Maybe I'll have more luck with this one?

Last edited by bliebo36 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
GameMaster
GameMaster
Admin

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:05 am

Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 Ty-garn%20face
Ty'Garn recognizes the crystal the the kender is tossing around in front of him as his, Ty'Garn's, own arcane focus.

Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 Elle%202
Elle scrunches up her face, seemingly wrestling with a difficult decision.

"I really shouldn't tell you anything about the key. I'm not supposed to tell people who don't know about the room artifacts."

She lets out a sigh.

"I had better call my dad. Then I'll just ask him if I can tell you."

Elle touches a mark on the inside of her wrist, and says, "Hello? Dad?"

Then she pauses, as if waiting for a response, before continuing, "Yes. I'm okay. I'm in Solace"

"I know. I'm sorry."

"I know, but,"

"I know. I'm sorry."

"I thought I could get the comb, though!"

"I know. I'm sorry."

"I almost had it! But then Winthrop shows up with some of his goons, and I had to run."

"Yeah. So I got to the Inn of the Last Home... Yes, I'm there now. Tika says hi. Anyway, when I got here a group of people at the inn fought off Winthrop's goons long enough for me to get away!"

"Yes. They were really great! Maybe a little more violent than necessary. But I don't think I could have gotten away without them."

"Yeah. It was Jerry. One of them shot him through the eye! Tika's inn is a real mess though."

"Yes. I told her you would take care of it. Oh, and the one who shot Jerry is asking about the key."

"I know. That's what I told her. Oh, but about the key... I'm really sorry, Dad. I peeked back into the inn to see how the people there were doing against Jerry and his men. But then Winthrop was next to the door and he grabbed me and... he took the key."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Yeah. I think they could replace Bruno and his men."

"Okay. I'll tell them."

"Okay. We'll see you soon."

Elle appears to finish the conversation she was having. She removes her finger from the mark on her wrist and turns her attention to Kirsten.

"He was really mad. But he wanted me to tell all of you that he's very grateful to you all for helping me, and that he would like to reward you all to show his appreciation. He wants us to go meet up with him now. And he said I could tell you a little about the key on the way."

She turns her attention to Tika for a moment, "And he told me to apologize to you, and that he would arrange for someone to come and clean up the inn and he would pay for all the damages. I'm really sorry, Tika."

Elle stands up, and motions for everyone to follow.

"Alright, everyone," she says. "Follow me."
Tygarn
Tygarn
TyGarn

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:01 pm

I assure you selling stuff is not boring.  In a way it is also a battle, though typically nobody gets shot in the eye or fall down on their face.  But, it's a battle of words.  I have this shiny armor and I will trade it for something that is also of value.  Hopefully gold.  It's the process that's fun.  I get it though, you would rather play with the other girl.  Makes sense.  How about another time I take you to a shop and you can see for yourself.  We can see what else you can find too.  

As for the Arcane Focus, it is amazing!  Have you met a wizard ever?  These bookish nerds carry around books so they can remember spells.  So boring.  Me, I can use that crystal and not have to deal with any boring books.  Go ahead, hold it, concentrate, and see if you can cast a spell. Let me have it back when you're done though.  

By the way, I like you little girl, you're fun.

Ty'garn winks at Duncan and drags the armor back into the room.
bliebo36
bliebo36
Duncan

Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:58 pm
Oh is this crystal yours?  You must have dropped it.  You're lucky I was here to find it for you.

Duncan palms the crystal in his hand, and stretches out his arm pointing straight at Ty'Garn.  Duncan squishes his face in concentration, trying his best to poof the Dragonborn away.  After a little while of not breathing his face turns red, and he gets disappointed.  Duncan overhears Elle having some sort of conversation, and the last thing he hears is "follow me"

Oh well, I think this crystal might be broken too.  Oh, by the way, I'm a boy Kender, not a girl.  I know you hit your head a lot so it's ok if you're confused.  But since your head doesn't always work right I should probably hold on to this crystal for you so you don't lose it!

Duncan pockets the crystal in one of his pouches, and flashes a giant grin towards Ty'Garn

Adventure awaits!  This should be FUN - Come on!

And he dashes out of the inn to follow Elle and the rest of the party

Last edited by bliebo36 on Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)
Kirsten
Kirsten
Kirsten

Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:49 pm
Kirsten wonders what happened to Bruno and his crew and if being their replacement is a good idea, but maybe we don't talk about Bruno, no, no, no.

Kirsten says to Elle, "Lead the way, my little friend."
GameMaster
GameMaster
Admin

Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:25 pm
Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 Autumn_treehouse_by_daveybaker_des6sjg-350t.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMzA5YWU2NjQtOWU2YS00MWY5LTg3OGUtMzA5MzhlODYzYWJkXC9kZXM2c2pnLTZmOTE5Mzk5LWY2NDUtNDM0NS05MzQxLTRhNWE2NjYyMWQxMy5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19

Elle leads the group out of the Inn of the Last Home, nestled in the giant vallenwood tree, and down the path to the ground below. She turns away from the center of town, leading the group toward the outskirts of Solace.

"So, you wanted to know about the key," she says, as you walk.

"It's one of what we call an artifact. It comes from the room.

The key can open any door with a knob and a lock. But it doesn't lead you to the other side of the door. It leads you to the room. The key can turn any door into a portal to the room. And then, when you're in the room, you can just think of any door that you want and when you open the door from the room, you step out of the door you were thinking of."

The canopy of the giant vallenwood trees begins to thin as you leave the town of Solace until the treeline becomes sparse.

"All of the artifacts from the room are special. But the key... She trails off and looks like she's about to start crying again.

"It's important," she says. "I never should have taken it. And now Winthrop has it, again.

My parents think that the artifacts are dangerous. And so we are trying to find them. And also study them.

Winthrop used some of the artifacts to develop his first few products. And now he uses the Ipswich Ingenuities money to fund his search for the rest of the artifacts.

We knew that the comb was in Solace. And Winthrop knew it, too. I was just trying to get to the comb before they could. I thought I could get there first with the key."

The treeline gives out completely, and you all emerge into a large clearing.

"Okay," Elle says, sitting down on the ground. "We're here. Dad will probably be about a half hour still. He's coming in from Genua."

You all have at least a passing knowledge of the geography of the area, and know that Genua is about a 5 days' march from Solace.

avasarala likes this post

bliebo36
bliebo36
Duncan

Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:36 pm
During the walk Duncan starts chatting with the rest of the party.  He regales Ava with more of his story of when he met a Unircorn. He tries to get Dwalin to let him see if he can use his hammer. He talks with Kohak about how interesting he finds her bright red hair, and then he tries to pressure Moribus to show him his wings, because he feels it's completely unfair that he missed it in the inn when he was under the table.

When they get to the stopping point, he sits on the ground by Elle.  He grabs his stack of papers with his drawings, and some charcoal and he starts to draw Ty'Garn.  While drawing he turns to Elle

So this key sounds interesting.  Do you think if we find it you'll take me to the room with you?  I bet the room is amazing.  You said you came to Solace to find out about the comb?  What does the comb do??  I think I may have more of these artifacts you study!  I find fantastic things all the time, you'd be surprised how often people lose things.

Duncan starts rummaging through his pouches and takes out various items.  He pick out Ty'Garns Arcane Focus, a ring, a lighter, and what looks like a big ball of wax and places them on the ground.  After a second of thought he picks the ring back up and puts it back in his pouches.  He picks up the lighter

I once saw someone use this lighter to take all the light out of a building!  When they clicked it it became pitch black, and then when they clicked it again all the lights went back on, it doesn't work for me very well though.  Duncan then puts the lighter down and picks up the ball of wax.  And this ball has the ability to make you immortal!  You just have to eat a little of the wax every day, It doesn't taste very good and it gives your mouth a weird texture, but... It's why I look so young.  He then puts the ball of wax down and picks up the Arcane Focus And this I just found.  It's Ty'Garn's, and he says it does all sorts of magic. I think it might be broken though... Do you think any of these are your artifacts!?
GameMaster
GameMaster
Admin

Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:59 pm
Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 ElleElle's eyes go wide when she hears Duncan describe the lighter.

"Yes," she says excitedly. "The lighter! The lighter that douses and re-ignites all flames! Can I see it?"

She holds out her hand to the kender.
bliebo36
bliebo36
Duncan

Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:03 pm
Oh yes of course!  Duncan gives the lighter to Elle.   His eyes grow big and he asks Can you show me how to use it??  I only saw it work the one time and then it never did again
GameMaster
GameMaster
Admin

Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:11 pm
Breakfast at The Inn of the Last Home - Page 3 ElleElle eagerly takes the lighter from the kender and places it on the ground in front of her. She pulls out a dagger and raises it above the lighter, preparing to impale the lighter.

Suddenly, something catches her eye and she stops. She picks the lighter back up and examines the bottom of it more carefully.

"Oh," she says, sounding dejected. "This isn't The Lighter. This is just a regular Ipswich Ingenuities lighter."

She tosses it back to the kender.

"Where did you say you heard about The Lighter? You said you actually saw someone using it? We've been trying to track down The Lighter for a while now. Maybe, if we can give him a lead on the lighter, my dad will be less mad at me..."
Tygarn
Tygarn
TyGarn

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:00 am
Ty'garn sits with the group.

Wow Duncan, that's a great picture of a mighty Dragonborn.

To Elle he says,

Little girl, let me get this straight.  This bloke, Winthrop, he's the man in charge?  Jerry, the one that knocked me out but got an arrow in the eye anyway, is he like, second in command?  So Jerry and his goons chase you, blasting into Tika's and they're trying to steal this key from you.  This Winthrop fella, he stayed behind and grabbed the key off you.  Now, all he has to do is find a door knob, put the key in, and, blam, he's in the artifact room.  Then, he just thinks about another place and walks through another door and is there.  If this is correct, Winthrop can be anywhere.  What does Winthrop look like?  How do you find a man that's anywhere in Faerun?  That's like looking for a needle in a haystack but don't know which haystack to look.

By the way, I saw a tattoo I recognized as a trademark for a tech company, it looks like this.  Is that Ipswitch Ingenuities?

Ty'garn draws the logo in the dirt.
GameMaster
GameMaster
Admin

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:42 am
"My name is Elle," Elle says to Ty'Garn, evenly.

"Winthrop Ipswich is the founder and owner of Ipswich Ingenuities. Jerry was not second in command. He was just a leader of one of I.I.'s groups of goons.

Yes, Winthrop can travel almost anywhere, almost instantly, using the key. The key is one of the most important artifacts. My parents are going to be so mad at me..."

She trails off a little, looking worried about the impending meeting with her father. She looks down at Ty'Garn's scrawling in the dirt.

"Yes. That is the I.I. logo. It is also on the bottom of Duncan's lighter. It is on all of their products."

Last edited by GameMaster on Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Kirsten
Kirsten
Kirsten

Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:23 am
Kirsten sits down on the ground as well and asks Elle, "What is Winthrop's end game? What does he intend to do with all these arifacts?" Kirsten continued, "In other words, why should they be kept out of Winthrop's hands?"
GameMaster
GameMaster
Admin

Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:39 am

Elle wrinkles her face at Kirsten's questions.

"If you can get a straight answer from my parents about that, let me know. Because they won't tell me. 'We'll tell you when you're older,'" she mimics, with a mocking tone of voice.

"But, the artifacts are powerful. And also unpredictable. We're trying to collect all of them, and study them. People cause all sorts of harm with them out in the world." She screws up her face, remembering a story she was told.

"Have you ever heard of Torongo? Terrible what happened there. Now we keep The Bible in a safe place, so that won't happen again.

Winthrop hasn't done anything like what happened to Torongo. But, my parents definitely don't seem to trust him."
Kirsten
Kirsten
Kirsten

Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 am
Kirsten's countenance freezes and her breath stops mid inhale when she hears the word Torongo emitted so casually out of Elle's mouth. Once Kirsten is able to control her voice she asks, "Winthrop is responsible for what happened at Torongo?" The name of the place almost getting stuck in her throat and barely making it past her lips. She continues in disbelief, "Why would he..." the question drifts uncompleted in the breeze that's coolly passing between them.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum